Article written by Kevin Indig, with Alexis’ contribution.
Alexis Sanders, Technical SEO manager @ Merkle, gives a more specific definition: “Technical SEO covers the crawl, index, and render portion of the “crawl, index, rank” model. At a high level, you need to learn how to answer these questions:
- Can search engine bots crawl/find your page? (includes topics such as status codes, sitemaps, information architecture, robots.txt, facets)
- Can search engine bots index your page? (includes: meta robots)
- Can bots understand content on your page? (includes: structured data (Schema.org, HTML), accessibility)
- Are you sending search engines the proper signals for dealing with ranking content? (e.g., canonical tags, dealing with pagination)
- Is this page worthy of ranking? (includes: content relevance, authority, HTTP, UX, mobile-friendly, site latency)”
Read the full post on the SEMrush Blog .